Planning to pawn or sell your laptop? Then keep reading to discover four basic tips you need to know before turning your laptop into cash.
1. Decide if You Want to Pawn or Sell Your Laptop
The first thing you have to do is to decide whether you want to pawn or sell your laptop.
When you pawn your laptop, the device is still yours and you can retrieve it as soon as you repay your loan. If you sell your laptop, on the other hand, you are no longer the owner and can’t get the device back.
What you’ll need to keep in mind is that you usually can get a little more money if you decide to sell your laptop instead of pawning it.
2. Backup Personal Data and Important Files
If you plan to only pawn your laptop (as opposed to selling it) it’s easy to neglect the sensitive and personal data saved in your device. After all, you’ll get your laptop back at a later date, right?
The truth is that you have to be as cautious as possible with your personal information. This is especially relevant if you sell your laptop. But even if you plan to retrieve your laptop after pawning it, you should make sure to backup all important files, be it personal data, videos, photos, or work-related documents.
Remember that old cybersecurity saying: data doesn’t exist unless you have two copies of it. Save your important files in at least two different locations or devices before formatting your laptop (see next step).
3. Format Your Laptop
The only way to ensure that your laptop is totally free of personal information is to format it.
Formatting your laptop means to completely wipe the hard drive of data and then installing again the operating system and other files.
This process requires some technical knowledge, so you may need the help of a technician or a computer-savvy friend. Keep in mind that the formatting process is a lot simpler if you still have your operating system discs. So before you format your laptop, be sure to get those discs if you have them laying around somewhere.
4. Clean Your Your Laptop
Now that your laptop is clean from a data standpoint, it’s time to take care of the literal cleanliness of your device.
- Turn off the laptop and unplug it from the wall
- Hold your laptop upside down and tap it gently to get rid of dust and dirt
- Use a can of compressed air to clean the crevices between the keys
- Wipe the surface with a microfiber cloth to get rid of superficial dust
- Use a mild solution of water and soap and a microfiber cloth to clean the surface of your laptop
- For stubborn stains, scrub using a microfiber cloth and isopropyl rubbing alcohol
- Use the can of compressed air to clean the vents (dust tends to accumulate there)
- Finally, wipe the entire surface of the laptop using disinfecting wipes and let it dry
Looking To Pawn or Sell Your Laptop? AJ’s Super Pawn Can Help!
If what you need is a dependable, trustworthy pawn shop in Southern California, look no further than AJ’s Super Pawn.
We have locations in Pomona and Chino California. Give us a call today (Pomona: (909) 622-0334 , Chino: (909) 465 5456) or fill out the contact form to get in touch with our team!